Blog Post 10 Sexual and Gender Minorities
Sexual and Gender Minorities
1) I listened to the podcast episode entitled "Mads Ambrose". The episode begins by Mads talking about their experience figuring out what they identified as, and that it took a long time for them to find a place they felt like people understood them and their identity, and how big of a role the lack of representation played in this internal battle. Mads then goes on to talk about their business, which is an all gender waxing salon. I found this very interesting, because I have never thought about this, or even considered that this might be something that people need, because it is not something I have ever worried about. Listening to this narrative made me realize how important it is that all genders have access to salons, gyms, etc, where they feel safe and comfortable. I think it was really refreshing to see how the beauty industry could be represented in a positive way; just people choosing to present their bodies in a way that makes them feel confident. Mads also has a fund where people can donate to help others who cannot afford to get a wax. They talked about how life changing a wax can be to someone's mental and emotional state, especially if they are transitioning. I have never thought about any of these things before, and I enjoyed listening to this podcast because I feel like I learned a lot from this experience.
2) I think the section in the article "Health Disparities Between Genderqueer, Transgender, and Cisgender Individuals: An Extension of Minority Stress Theory" entitled "Genderqueer Experiences" related most closely with the podcast I listened to. This discussed the experiences of genderqueer individuals, and their feelings of being misunderstood, and how things such as fashion, hair, and hormone replacement therapy can help these individuals feel more comfortable in their own skin. Mads from the podcast shared how they both experienced the tension of being a genderqueer individual as well as now how they help others deal with these stressors less.
3) I listened to the episode entitled "Angela and Lucia". During this, two women share their experiences being gay in Manchester in the 1960s/1970s. It was difficult to listen to these stories. Lucia discussed how she lived on the streets as a youth with others because her family did not support her being gay, and that she was prescribed to see a therapist and get a lobotomy; all because she was gay. Angela shares similar experiences and hardships. They then discuss women's liberation and what role they played in that. I think the part that struck me the most was that 1970 was not that long ago. Not that long ago, people thought gay individuals were mentally ill and needed lobotomies and deserved to live on the streets. In one manner it seems that we have come a long way, however much work still needs to be done.
4) I think the article entitled "Ignored minority status: Consequences for sexual minorities living in a biased society" is tightly tied to the podcast episode I listened to, as they brought up many of the same ideas. Sexual orientation can have an affect on health care and what these individuals are provided with, both physical, mental, and emotional (they are quite often turned away and discriminated against). The stigma that comes with being a member of the LGBTQ+ community although it is probably lesser than what was occurrent in the 70s is still very prevalent.
5) I think it was interesting comparing Mads experience to Lucia and Angela's experiences, because while they happened many years apart, you can see they still faced many of the same issues. They all felt like outcasts, like people didn't understand them or their identities, and like there wasn't a place for them that felt comfortable or safe. They both discussed what they felt was a lack of support (especially Angela and Lucia). While they did not explicitly talk about their mental health, other than Lucia who shared her experience with a therapist who urged a lobotomy, it can be assumed that the things there individuals have gone through would weigh heavily on their mental states. They did not feel safe or accepted in the world, and that must have been a constantly upsetting and stressful experience. These experiences led both groups to try to change experiences for future generations and tried to ensure others would not face the same struggles they did.
6) I learned a lot this week. I think hearing first hand accounts is always extremely valuable because it is the closest I will get to experiencing what these individuals have gone through. Listening to these stories, while it was difficult also made me completely impressed. These individuals fought for their identities, even if it meant being cut off from their families or living on the streets with no supports. They fought for who they were and their beliefs, as well as others, and I think that is unbelievably brave while living in a world that is much less than accommodating and accepting. I have so much respect for these individuals and I feel lucky I got to listen to their stories.
Comments
Post a Comment