Blog Post 11 Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders

Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders    

    Disaggregating data is the act of presenting data in separate sections, or pieces. This could mean you look at test scores from different ethnic groups instead of looking at all the data in one. This is important when looking at Asian American and Pacific Islander students because when looking at the whole data set, this group of students make up too small a percentage to be statistically relevant. This group could be completely overlooked if the data is not disaggregated. This would hinder the research known about these individuals and their achievements, as well as keeping them from getting supports or tools needed for success. It also hinders others from understanding the AAPI experience. Without this research it could perpetuate the stereotypical beliefs, such as the "Model Minority stereotype" that many hold of this group as well. 

    I think Asian American and Pacific Islander families should absolutely try to preserve their cultural values, if they so choose. These cultures have such rich, beautiful customs, traditions, etc. and I think it would be a shame to lose those. I understand however this might be difficult, as it could bring about judgement from others. It is always hard to be different, especially as a young person trying to find their identity. While I think the preservation of their culture is important, I don't think there is anything wrong with acculturating to American values either, if that is what they choose. This could help give individuals a sense of belonging or that they "fit in" more with the mainstream culture. Many families have taken to combing their traditional cultures with their own to create a new one that encompasses their experiences as a part of AAPI and as an American.  

    In all honestly, I did not know much about AAPI individuals and families before this unit. I grew up in an area that has a high population of Asian American students, so I felt that I knew a fair amount, however upon completing these readings, I found that unfortunately I did have many typical stereotypical beliefs about this group. In particular, I found the "Tiger Mother" article very interesting. I felt that this gave me a lot of insight into what it is like to live with these stereotypes and experience them personally. It changed my perspective and gave me a lot of background information as to why we may hold these beliefs and what it is like to live under the pressure of these ideas. I am very interested in the book the article covers, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, and I might pick it up sometime soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 13 Latinx and Native American Populations

Blog Post 12 Black and Multiracial individuals and Families

Blog Post 15 Neurodiversity