Final Project Blog Post

       Final Project Blog Post 

    I am an elementary education major, so anything to do with the public schools or students is pretty close to my heart. The entirety of the semester we have been discussing racism, discrimination, etc. and how much it affects this country. We've briefly discussed these issues in the context of schools, however I wanted to explore this idea a little bit more. My target audience was teachers or aspiring teachers, so we could all learn together ways in which we can best help the students in our classroom. I decided to create a graphic to reach this audience. I know that when I am scrolling through social media, I am often drawn to things that have pictures, are easy to read, and have big, main ideas written, rather than a lot of text. 

    As of right now, I have not heard back from the authors of the article, and therefore have received no feedback. I am not sure if I will hear from them in the future, but I would be very interested to hear their take on my summary! 

    I made the decision to only share my educational materials on my blog post. This isn't for any particular reason other than I am not really on social media very frequently and I do not post regularly at all. It is just not my preferred form of communication with others in general, but I do see how this could be a powerful tool, especially if you had a large following. 

    I think the hardest part of summarizing the article I read was making sure I got enough of the information included that the summary made sense without explaining every single little detail of the study. There were also parts of the writing that were just very dense so it took some time for me to understand what was being said and then translate it into my own words. Similarly, when I created my graphic for social media, I found it hard to decide what information was most important and concise ways in which I could write it for the graphic. I wanted to make sure I didn't put so much text on that it was overwhelming, but I also wanted to make sure I had enough information to say my main points. This was my first time completing a project like this. I feel that I learned a lot about my topic and that I am much well versed in this area. I now feel more comfortable talking to others about it and that I will be able to create a more diverse classroom in the future. It was also good practice reading the article, summarizing it, and making a graphic. I feel that this is a good skill. I hope that my project has at least raised some awareness to this topic and that others will be interested in learning more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 13 Latinx and Native American Populations

Blog Post 12 Black and Multiracial individuals and Families

Blog Post 15 Neurodiversity